Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Lake Gordonier


This is a small plein air painting that I did at my friends' cottage in the Muskokas. It is a beautiful, peaceful spot, and my friend Marylin and I painted while Marylin's husband happily worked on his latest project, a tool shed.
My first painting was a dud. I fought with that blasted french easel, trying to get it set up on uneven ground (my subject was a moss covered rock on a path in the forest with lovely dappled light), and got covered in paint, and by the time I was set up the winds had blown the clouds away, and the lighting had completely changed. I was determined to get a painting out of this set up, and I carried on. My dog had a good time being entertained by chipmunks and other critters while she waited for me. My set up set the tone for the painting. I left it at the cottage.

The second attempt on the same day was happier. It was a beautiful sunny afternoon, and the light was not quite as changeable as in the am.

No comments:

Post a Comment